Saturday, January 17, 2009

A development example...

I don't remember how or where I came across Rural Studio, but I'm glad I did. The program is too vast for me to give a sufficient description here; it's more enjoyable to click around their website on your own anyway. I will quote one sentence from the Rural Studio mission statement: The Rural Studio seeks solutions to the needs of the community within the community's own context, not from outside it. In short, students in the Auburn University School of Architecture put what they learn to work in impoverished places. It's service learning. It's amazing.

I hope to expose my justice and peace students to as many programs like the Rural Studio as possible this coming semester. I think many of the ideas and attitudes about community that we try to incorporate in our semester project (see previous post) are embodied in the actions of the students, faculty and staff involved in Rural Studio.

Filmmaker Cristina Garmendia produced the following clip that gives a glimpse of the program. It is part of a full-length documentary. More of Christina's work can be viewed on the youtube channel criticalarchfilms.



I'd love to find more examples of people doing things like this.

3 comments:

Cristina said...

Hello, thanks for linking to a clip from my film. Please credit me, Cristina Garmendia, for my work. The full-length of this case-study will be around 20 minutes long and I would be happy to share it once I get my copyrights set up.

btjeffreys said...

Cristina,
Please accept my apology for not giving you proper credit. I can only say that I am a relative novice at embedding videos from youtube.com. I did notice your name in the tags line, but I didn't know you were the creator of the film. I will edit the post to give you full credit. Thank you for contacting me and providing your name. Please do share the full length film when things are in order. I will gladly direct those who visit WATERSHED(though, to this point, there has been little traffic)to what you produce. I enjoy what I have seen of your work and look forward to more.

btjeffreys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.